Friday, January 22, 2010

Why I Run...

Miles today: 2.4
Miles in 2010: 80.6

I run because...
  • it clears my head.
  • it makes me feel beautiful.
  • it keeps me healthy.
  • it is challenging.
  • it makes me sweat.
  • I can feel the benefits.
  • I want to.
  • I want to be faster.
  • I am inspired by others.
  • it gives me energy.
  • I love to.
  • I have goals.
  • I have determination.
  • I want to get better.
  • I want to eat some junk food.
  • I like strong legs.
  • my legs were made to.
  • I want to inspire others.
  • it makes me happy.
  • it relieves my stress.
  • I like the rhythm.
  • if I hadn't, I would never have met Gregg.
  • I like to feel the pavement.
  • I like to push harder.
  • I like to try out new shoes and gear.
  • I work at a running store.
  • it's worth it.
Today after work I was really hungry and couldn't stop thinking about Olive Garden's salad and breadsticks. I asked Gregg if he would run just a couple miles with me and if we could go to OG afterwards, both of which he agreed to. I have to be totally honest...the majority of my 20 minute run was spent thinking about both of those food items.

Gregg and I just ran from the store down Rivermont Avenue to the Virginia Baptist Hospital and back...a quick couple of miles. I can't help but continue to notice that every time I run, things seem to get easier and sometimes more intentional. I love how my feet move a little faster than they did a month ago and how my breathing is less labored and how I feel pushing it out on hills. It's so invigorating.

While we were out, just before we passed Magnolia Foods, we passed Margaret running in the opposite direction. Now if any of you don't know, Margaret is a local new anchor here in Lynchburg and she was the girl who started this whole thing...she told me about her committment to run 365 days in a row and I thought it was such a good idea, I decided to do it too. She blogs, too, at a blog called Runningitis.

I imagined that I'd probably run into her sometime in this upcoming year, but I was surprised to see her tonight. I'm glad we ran into each other...it's the first time we talked since I've started the project myself. She offered that we could run sometime. I hope this happens. I'd love to.

2 comments:

  1. It's only 8 a.m. and those salad and breadsticks sound good right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heather. you're gonna be so stinkin' fast by the time this whole thing is over!! i'm so proud of you! you're gonna kick major ass in your next race!

    ReplyDelete