Tuesday, January 12, 2010

the Lynchburg Road Runners Club

Miles today: 4.4
Miles in 2010: 40.4

tonight was the first meeting of 2010 for the Lynchburg Road Runners Club.

I had to work until 6pm and needed to be at the meeting by 7pm, so I just decided to run to Monte Carlo's, where the meeting was held.

I had a great run, only about 4.4 miles, in the cool crisp air and I even enjoyed running Cranehill and Linkhorne hills.

Hadn't run on Langhorne Road since before Christmas and kinda missed it! Jeff at the store told me I should wear a reflective vest before I left, so I listened. Probably was a smart idea. A car almost didn't see me until the last minute...and maybe wouldn't have seen me at all if I didn't have that reflective vest on!

...and when I got to the meeting, I was met with some disapproval by a few friends who don't want me running at night alone...so I found a running partner for Thursday morning...yipee! Can't wait, Nancy!

Back to the LRR Meeting:

estimated attendance: 25 people
usual attendance in January: 4-6 people

what a great start!

the Lynchburg Road Runners have been around for a long time, and through the years, the club has ebbed and flowed in terms of number of members and involvement in activities.

as a club, we meet the 2nd Tuesday of each month from September through May (June, July, and August are our break months) to discuss club business. we have guest speakers visit to talk about runner's health in the heat, foot care, footwear, among other topics. we've had local runner Sam Chelanga from Liberty University speak about his experience at D1 Cross Country Nationals, and we've had Jeff Fedorko from Riverside Runners share his expertise on footwear and running. every month is different.

in November, the meeting is always centered around an awards ceremony for the Lynchburg Road Runners Race Series, free pizza is offered and awards are given for age groups and overall places in the LRR Race Series.

December finds the club eating pizza and electing officers.

this December, the club elected new officers. they are:

President: Jonathan Perrotto
Vice President: Sue Jones
Secretary: Mike Mitchell
Treasurer: Vic Galan
Membership: Heather Vozel
Newsletter: CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO DO THIS!

so if you want to join, come by Riverside Runners and sign up! It's only $15 per person, $20 for a family, and $10 for college students.

See you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment