Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday AM runs

My fiancé, Gregg, has always been a runner. He's loyal to the sport and has a great group of guys he runs 5 miles with from Lynchburg College everyday at lunch. On Fridays, as tradition mandates, the guys always call a run for the following Saturday. Yesterday, Gregg called the run from our house, meaning this morning, a bunch of guys would show up around 7:30am, ready to run 11+ miles.

Now, as tradition has continued, each time one of the guys has a run from his house, some of their wives have set the standard of offering different refreshments post-run. Gregg has always taken care of the Gatorade since I've known him...but when I found out that some of his runs from the other guys' houses included post-run pancakes or treats, I knew I had a challenge set before me.

So, for the past two years, anytime Gregg has called a run from our house, I've made sure I'm here to entertain. The first time I was here, I made brownies and offered them as a snack. The second time the guys came here, it was summer, and I thought I'd try pancakes and coffee, but it was hot and they weren't as big a hit as I had planned. As tradition would tell, I started making coffee and coffee cake for the guys a few runs back, and now, when Gregg calls a run from our house, I'm always asked if there will be coffee cake.

My orginal plan for today was to go for my own run early this morning (7am) and then come back in time to pop the coffee cake in the oven, but as plans often don't pan out in my world, I overslept and just barely made coffee cake in time for the guys' return. In fact, several of the guys had to leave, while a select few stood by and waited for warm coffee crumb cake.

It's a funny tradition, but it's one I cherish and hopefully will continue each time the Saturday morning run begins at our place. I enjoy seeing Brian, Bret, Mike, Jeff, Gary, Gregg, and others relaxing on the couches, quenching thirst with Gatorade, and munching happily on yummy coffee cake. It's my little treat!

PS: I did eventually run today, but that first full week of running did kick my butt. I was so exhausted from all of my blogging traffic and excitement, that I just barely kicked out another 1.1 miles. My foot has been bothering me slightly, so I'm trying to ice, ibuprofen, and relax for the next few days. But don't worry, I'm still running.

Miles today: 1.11
Miles in 2010: 25.2

1 comment: