Tuesday, February 9, 2010

sarvangasana

Miles today: 3.0
Miles this week: 5.2
Miles in 2010: 151.7

today was a super busy day and a yucky weather day. I've been trying to run in the morning because it makes my day a lot shorter than when I run at night...

so this morning, I woke up earlier than usual and actually went for a run. a neighborhood close by mine, Boxwood, is a great place for me to run to, and the loop is three miles, so it's a good distance too. The only problem with this run is that it's SUPER hilly and I'm always slow on it...but I suppose that's okay because I don't always have to be fast when I'm just out there getting miles in...right?

anyway, I went to work after my run, had an average day (I did get to help my friend Kelly and see her cute kiddos), and then left work a little early because I had planned on going to yoga at the downtown Y. it started at 6, and i got there just in time...but the weather had kind of started to get bad, so not too many people were in the class...just me and 4 others. That was kind of nice...it was a little more personal. After, I had to hurry out of class to head over to the LRRC monthly meeting at Monte Carlo's.

Yoga is so good for you. As a runner, it's PERFECT for stretching and lengthening the body. It makes me feel so good afterwards and I'm just sorry that I haven't been doing it for awhile. You'll probably read a lot more about yoga in the coming year because it's just so good for me to do it. Above, you see a man doing a pose called sarvangasana or shoulder stand. I love this pose because during it you can do a lot of different things with your legs and it makes you feel kind of super power-ish.

The video below is of Bryan Kest, a famous yoga instructor with a studio in Santa Monica, just going over some pointers for people in his class. I love how he's very hands-on with his students. I bet he'd be amazing to take a class from...maybe someday.


In the meantime, you'll find me at the local YMCA supplementing my running with amazing yoga classes. I'm so thankful for teachers like Christine and Leesa, who really are devoted to the practice.

Namaste. I bow to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment