Monday, February 8, 2010

How important is physical fitness?


I like graphs and charts a lot, so I like to add them after I've had a poll. Interestingly enough, more than half of the 25 people who voted on the poll: Do you enjoy running in the snow? voted that they do like it. I was surprised by the results.

This week's poll is about physical fitness, inspired by Michelle Obama's segment on Good Morning America. She's launching a campaign to battle childhood obesity. It's called "Let's Move" and it includes a proposal to put $1 billion a year toward the movement for the next ten years. How awesome is that? Check out her story below.
Miles today: 2.2
Miles this week: 2.2
Miles in 2010: 148.7

Ran a few miles in my neighborhood tonight with Jeff. My 1.1 mile loop isn't an easy one, and we did it twice. Can I call it a rest day? Eh, not really. Thanks for running, Captain!

3 comments:

  1. Heather,

    What exactly do you use to record your distance and where can I get one?

    Carey (from high school)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carey,
    I use google maps most of the time...and I just map out my run...there's a log you can use online at runnersworld.com and it gives you all the options to record your run (on a map) and get distance, speed, etc. It's all manual though.

    I do have a Garmin Forerunner 310XT that I use sometimes...it's a GPS enabled watch that records distance and speed and a bunch of other things. It's a little pricey ($350). I work at a running store, so I'm borrowing the one for our staff to use. You can get them online at Garmin's website or you can go to a local sporting goods or running specialty store to find Garmin. Another Garmin that's good and is a little less expensive ($300) is the Forerunner 405. It does a lot of the same things but you just can't swim in it (unlike the 310).

    Anyway, hope that helps.

    Carey who? by the way.

    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevenson...we were in the wonderful hempfield tuba line together...and I was your neighbor on Wren many many many years ago :)

    ReplyDelete