Monday, February 22, 2010

Home from the Hubbub

Miles today: 1.1
Miles this week: 1.1
Miles in 2010: 197.1

Gregg had a quick business trip to make to Bethesda, MD...so I decided to go with him. We drove up yesterday afternoon and arrived around 5:30pm. Gregg had work to do at one of the AREVA buildings, so I took some work with me and just hung out til he finished.

After he was done, we went to Benihana, a Japanese steakhouse, for dinner. Here, the chef comes to your teppanyaki table (where you're seated with other guests) and cooks your food in front of you. Yum, YUM, YUM! We ate til we almost popped and enjoyed flaming onion volcanoes and shrimp tails flying into the chef's hat. My favorite trick by far was when he took an uncooked egg, spun it on the grill, flipped it in the air with his spatula and kept tossing it up and down like a ping pong ball (without breaking it while it still spun) and then flipped it one more time and caught it in his pocket.

Gregg ordered filet and I got chicken. The chicken-fried rice is also made right in front of you. So good! I had a california roll for an appetizer. I wouldn't know how to enjoy sushi if I hadn't gone to LA with Sarah a few years ago to visit my friend Mikey. We had real LA sushi and I learned the wasabi/ginger rules of eating sushi. It was so good.

Today, my plan was to head down to the Capital Crescent Trail, but after Gregg left for work, I just lazed around the hotel and got complimentary breakfast. I dressed for running, but I never actually made it out the door...and soon it was time for lunch. Gregg came back and we went to a little deli, the Hampden-Cafe that made EXCELLENT sandwiches. Now, even though we were in fancy schmancy Bethesda, I did think the food was a little overpriced...but it was still really good, so I guess was worth it.

After lunch, Gregg went back to work and I shopped around Bethesda a little...I hit the National Jean Company, and a cute store called Sassanova. I stopped in RnJ Sports, just to see what kind of running shoes they had, but I was honestly unimpressed with the store. It wasn't very nice inside. Gregg and I met back up around 2:30 and went back to the hotel to get the Cadillac DTS that he rented so that we could drive through DC and then head home.

The second part of my running plan today was to drive to DC, park somewhere, and run around to all the monuments with Gregg. However, when we got to DC, it was 4:00pm, there were NO places to park, and we drove around in a million circles trying to find somewhere to stop...and on top of that it was raining and yucky outside. Bless his heart, Gregg tried so hard to find a place so we could run, but it just didn't happen, so we ended up leaving and heading home.

We stopped in Gainesville so I could check out The Running Store, and then ate dinner at Panera. We finally got back on the road and headed to Lynchburg. We didn't get home until almost 10, and by this time, I wasn't too into running...but I needed to get a mile in, so I laced up and headed outside with Gregg.

We ran my neighborhood loop kind of fast and got back inside. I was tired from a long day!

2 comments:

  1. awww...sounds like a fun mini vacation!
    when i start running again... we're running together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shelley...yes run with me anytime! I need a partner.

    ReplyDelete