Thursday, December 16, 2010

snow day

Miles today: 3.04
Miles this week: 17.8
Miles in 2010: a lot


Well, I didn't think it was going to snow. The weathermen (who are never right) kept saying we could get anywhere from an inch to 12...I didn't believe any of it. So when I went to bed last night, my expecations were none for snow.

I woke up at 6 with Gregg getting ready for work, asked if there was snow, heard there wasn't, and went back to sleep. At 7, before he left for work, he mentioned that it had started to snow.

Still thinking nothing more would come of it, I kept sleeping. At 8, when I got up, there was snow on the ground. I figured I'd run later when there was more snow, so I started to work on my blog (from last week) and tried to answer some of my 300-something unanswered emails.

When I looked outside again at 9am, the snow was coming down harder. I gave Jeff a call to see if the store was going to open, and he said that we were going to open, but that I could tell everyone else to stay home and that I just needed to come in when I could...no rush.

So, I got ready, cleaned off my car, still expecting minimal snow on the roads, and ventured off. When I made it out of my neighborhood fairly easy, I knew everything else would be fine. When I got to Wiggington the story was different. Jeff called a little after ten while I was on my way to work and said to go home, the roads were too bad. I quickly saw why. My car kept sliding off the road almost into ditches. I knew I needed to turn around, but my car kept going off the road and there was nowhere to turn around. I thought Gregg was going to have to drag me out of a ditch, but I found a turn-around spot, headed back home, and cuddled up under the covers to get warm.

All day, I tried really hard to meet Stacey for a run. We were going to try to run ten miles (5 to meet each other, then 5 back to my house) but I was just too tired and too much of a bum and hoping that Gregg would come home from work early.

Gregg didn't come home early, and I procrastinated my run until about 4:30. I finally got dressed and headed outside to run and started slipping all over the place. I ran in my Saucony ProGrid Razors (waterproof boot running shoes) and by the time I hit Wiggington, the road was slushy instead of slippery, so I was glad I had those on. My run was a short 3 mile trek, but it was hard on my legs because snow running is always harder than dry running. When I got home, I showered and then begged Gregg to drive me to Mi Patron for dinner (where I'm currently obsessed with the Tampico Special: chicken, rice, and cheese sauce served with tortilla chips...YUMMO!). We headed to dinner, stopped at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for coffee for the Keurig, and then headed home. I wasn't very productive today, but it felt good to have a day to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment