Monday, December 13, 2010

Austin's Home

Miles today: 4.75
Miles this week: 4.75
Miles in 2010: the rest of the year before today + 4.75

Austin came home from school for Christmas this weekend and I didn't get to see her until tonight. Isn't it appropriate that our first get-together would be meeting in front of Riverside Runners for a run?

We met around 6:30 after I finished at work. I had changed in the basement, so when I came upstairs, Rachel, Claire, and Austin were all near the front desk chatting.

They turned around to say hey to me and as they did, I think they all said in unison, are you crazy!?

See, the thing was, I forgot tights or pants when I left the house this morning and all I had grabbed was a pair of shorts. Now, the weather outside has been pretty frightful, and today/tonight was no different. In fact, earlier, when I had opened the front door to grab the mail, the icy wind blew in and rattled all the clothes on the racks and almost knocked me over.

I knew it was going to be cold. I just didn't feel like going all the way home to get tights. Austin asked, are you sure? I don't mind. But I said I'd brave the cold with my legs hanging out of my shorts and that I would be fine.

We got our stuff together, opened the front door, and I felt that cold, icy wind again. It was like I had nothing on my bottom at all. Oh well, I knew I'd warm up.

Austin and I ran our usual: out Rivermont to Peakland, down Peakland to the end and then back to the store. By the time we got to the First Christian Church, my legs were numb and I couldn't feel the icy wind anymore. On top of that, just being with Austin and having someone to run with made the time go by quickly and the weather was almost out of mind. It was convenient, too, because in the past year of running I've acquired a great pain in my right heel/achilles/calf...some kind of bursitis or achilles tendonitis or both...so the icy wind also numbed my heel and I could run hard and what felt like fast (Austin is faster than me). I'm looking forward to running with her through the end of Project 3-6-5 (she'll be home until almost the end of the year!) Yipee!

No comments:

Post a Comment