Monday, December 20, 2010

I Quit Sweets Cold Turkey

Miles today: 3.5
Miles this week: 3.5
Miles in 2010: the rest of the year + 3.5

Met Austin this morning at the Greek Church to run a few. Forgot that the path would be snowy, but we ran there anyway. We had some solid snow and solid ice patches, and then some completely clear patches. We were getting tired, though, dodging the crunchy parts, so we didn't run very far. Plus it was cold and windy.

The best part about the past two months...I know you're not going to believe this...but I gave up sweets. On Halloween, after eating as much candy from my niece's stash as possible, I decided that the next day, Monday, November 1st, would be a good day to give up sweets.


Gregg said it wasn't possible and that I shouldn't give up all sweets. It would be too much to quit cold turkey.


I disagreed. I knew I had to do it. I had to give up the sweets...all of them.

So on November 1st, I quit eating candy, cakes, cookies...anything that was sweet. And I made it my goal to get to Thanksgiving without a sweet. Then, if I made it to Thanksgiving, I'd be allowed to have sweets on just Thanksgiving Thursday, and then go back to no sweets.

Guess what?


I did it. I made it all the way to T-giving without a sweet. Then, after the Turkey Trot, I marched right into a little chocolate shop in Greensburg, bought some chocolate covered Oreos, strawberries, raspberries, and chocolate Oreo bark, and started my sweets day off right.

When I got home, I had only eaten some of the Oreo bark, so I shared my confections with the fam, and ate a chocolate covered Oreo (or two) throughout the day. After our big Thanksgiving extravaganza, I ate a piece of apple pie, and then said good-night and good-bye again to the sweets of the world.


Since then, I continued on my no-sweets trend into December, with Christmas Day being the only day I would be allowed sweets. I did have a minor mess-up one night at Mi Patron a few weeks ago (I forgot and bought a York peppermint patty by accident and ate it)...but other than that, haven't eaten any sweets. Pretty good, huh?

I'm proud of myself. It's the first time ever in my life I've been able to do it. And it's really really hard.


Kind of like training for a marathon...maybe I'll do one in 2011?!

3 comments:

  1. i think you are in the clear with your york peppermint patty...it's sort of a standard after mexican in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thats awesome. im morbidly obese and i should think about doing that also. what is considered sweets? does that mean i have to give up my daily slice of rich chocolate cake? i sure hope not.

    ReplyDelete